Sunday, October 24, 2010

Parent Teacher Conferences

On Thursday both boys had conferences at school. Since I go to MOPS on Thursdays now I dropped them off at their class and Nolan and I went to talk to their teachers. First up was Tyler's teacher. She usually tells me everyday how he is doing, so I was pretty sure what I was going to hear from her. He is doing great! He is really coming out of his shell and is playing with other students. He shares in class and participates in all the activities. The only issue that comes up is sometimes he starts wrestling when he doesn't have something to do. However as soon as he suggests that he does something, like go play with the blocks, he is fine. As long as Tyler has structure and knows what he should be doing there are never any issues. Academically he is doing great as well. They are graded on each skill with a 1, 2, or 3. A 1 is he is not doing it yet, a 3 is he does it all the time and a 2 is progressing. The goal is to have all 3's by the end of the year. Right now he has mostly 3's! We need to work on his rhyming (he still does the first letter sounds, like moon and man), writing all his letters correctly, skipping, doing longer patterns, knowing his numbers, and knowing our phone number. I think he will be fine by the end of the year!

Up next was Carter's teacher. I wasn't as sure about this one, as at the end of every day all I hear was that he did great. I wasn't worried about the social or the following directions part at all and I shouldn't be as he got all 3's in those areas. I was more worried about the academic side, as I don't work with Carter as much as I worked with Tyler in those areas (I guess that's what happens when your the second child). But he is doing pretty well in those areas as well! I need to work on patterns with him, sorting things by size, drawing his shapes, galloping, and knowing more of his letters. His teacher told me that he is very kind in class and plays with all the other children  and that he loves the messy crafts (no surprise there) and he is very interested in learning. All music to my ears!!!

Both boys were also asked questions regarding their spiritual development. Both boys did very well in these areas as well. Some of their answers made me chuckle however. When asked where he could pray Carter answered "in the car, and in my bed, and when I see animals". When asked what things God made he answered " people, houses, and animals", I guess that covers everything! Tyler did well too, but I need to work on him that God is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Besides that he answered all the questions right. I love that they are learning and growing spiritually at school as well as academically.

No comments: