Thursday, May 6, 2010

Angry Spell

Tyler has had a rough couple of days. I am seeing behavior out of him that I had never seen before. Needless to say we are trying to figure out what the root of the problem is. It started when we had to go get a few things at the grocery store. Like usual they know if they behave they can have a cookie from the bakery (they are free). However when we got to the bakery they had no cookies. Both boys started crying and I told them if they behaved the rest of the trip they could have a fruit popsicle when we got home. They were both fine until they started arguing over who would stand on which side of the cart (they both wanted the same side). I just stopped the cart and waited for them to work it out. Tyler decided he would hit Carter to work it out. I then took Tyler to the other side and told him he lost his popsicle. This just turned into a very angry Tyler who was then hitting me. I would calm him down only to have to him ask for something else (riding his bike when we got home, his popsicle back, etc). Each time I would tell him no because of his poor choices and he would start hitting, kicking and even trying to bite me. He was also screaming and crying this entire time. Since we were already in the check out lane at this point I quickly paid and we left. When we got home he had a very long stay in his room until Justin got home. Justin then also took away his bike for a few days. He did much better the rest of the night. Then yesterday at church before school started he once again was pushing his brother and yelling at him. I put him in time out where he continued to carry on. I finally took him to the bathroom to try to calm him down and he slapped me in the face. No idea where this came from. He then had to stay with me the rest of the morning instead of getting to play in one of the classrooms before his school started. He was then an angel the rest of the day and had zero problems at school. So far today he has been great and I have seen him stop himself a couple times when he is getting upset. I am not sure if he is overtired, is reacting to all the talk about the baby, needing more one on one time, or what. I am hoping this behavior wont continue on however. We have seen Tyler get angry before and have worked on positive ways to be angry time and time again. He and Carter push each other and hit each other like normal siblings do on occasion. They know the consequences of that however and accept them. He has never acted out like he did the past few days though. I have never seen him just go into a rage like he did. I hope we wont see that again. This parenting stuff is hard.

No comments: