Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sing A Song

Today at church Tyler was in my room. Usually during circle time with me he sits there with his mouth in his hands. Occasionally he will request a song but just watch the other kids sing it. When he is with other teachers he does interact more during circle time, but he never sings a whole song along with the rest of the class. He will sometime sing the last line of the song, or do some of the motions, but never the whole song,

When we sing at home, if I leave out a word Tyler will fill it in, but he never does a song from start to finish. The most I have ever gotten out of him is when he sings the ABC's he goes "a b c d e f g" and then he is done until I fill in letters again. Tyler's speech therapist thinks Tyler is a kid who needs to know he can really do something before he does it. I have noticed that when we are singing songs he will mouth along the words, but yet never sing. Until today that is.

Tyler requested that we sing the bumble bee song. And he then proceeded to sing almost the whole song along with everyone else - including the hand motions. He was with older kids so I am not sure if that's why he did it or if he finally has enough confidence in himself that he can do it. Either way it was so beautiful to hear his little voice belt out "squishing up my baby bumble bee - yucky!"

No comments: