Friday, January 18, 2008

The Wheels on the Bus

I have come to terms with Tyler's (and Carter seems to be headed down the same path) oral fixation. He is a very oral child, always has been - remember the biting problem? So I have now taken off every rubber wheel that is on any of his cars, trucks, or buses. Mostly I did this because I was tired of calling the pediatrician saying that he once again swallowed a wheel. Do all kids do this?On another note - Tyler's speech therapy. I was talking to his coordinator yesterday how I think his speech is going great, but I am concerned about some of his other quirks. He still does not answer yes to a question or even nod his head. If you ask him do you want to go outside, yes or no, he will either answer "outside" or "yes or no". It seems to me that he also does not process questions, although maybe most 2 year old don't do this either I am not sure. But if I ask him what he had for breakfast 5 minutes after he finished eating he will make something up - usually pizza since that's his favorite. We have been going to the church nursery for a year now and Tyler still does not talk to any of the staff or engage with the kids (except for Carter now). I can understand if he is shy, but I would think he would interact some. He also has no coping skills. We were eating tacos last night and his came apart and he couldn't control himself. He totally lost it. Is this normal or do most 2 year olds have coping skills? I don't know. So we were going over these quirks with his coordinator and Tyler may be getting more services now since there could be more there.

When I went to pick up Tyler from his classroom today I was informed that he was saying yes. They asked him if he wanted to do his craft and he said "yeah" and went and sat down! I was then talking to some other staff and they were saying that he does talk to them when he needs help. He will say "help me please" over and over until someone can help him. So he does talk to others - just not one on one with people. I guess that's not so much of a quirk, huh? It will be interesting to say the least at his speech appointment on Tuesday.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I just wanted to share that Gabe doesn't always answer yes or no either though I know that he does sometimes. Other times he will just repeat me which I guess applies to multiply choice questions as well. But, the bigger thing is Gabe will just go into a total breakdown if his food breaks or falls apart which is something that I thought was odd. But, yesterday morning Gabe's cereal bar broke in half and you would have thought it was the end of the world to him and he has done that for a while.