Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Cousins and SPD

Toby is here with us again today. For the most part the boys play well together. Tyler is being extra sensitive today. I am not sure if its beause its not his normal routine to have someone here first thing playing with his toys or what. We have playgroups over here every few weeks, so I would think he would be used to that. We did have a few problems sharing, but once we got out the rice table everything was good. The boys also loved getting to play outside some today - gotta love our 50 degree weather!

I know some people have been curious about Tyler's SPD. Basically Tyler have a mild case of it. Everyone has sensory issues to some point. For example I won't eat some types of fruit because of the textures. This doesn't really affect my daily life. Tyler's sesnory issues are starting to affect his tho. SPD is also fairly common, altho there are many different types, and no child with SPD is alike. One study said 1 in 20 kids has SPD. Like I said compared to a lot of SPD kids he is very mild. There are some kids who hit themselves in the face and asked to be bit because those pressures on their bodies help calm them down. Basically all these quirks I said Tyler has are caused by how he is processing his senses. If anyone has any questions about SPD I would be happy to try to answer them. At first I kinda thought it was a silly thing, but now I am realzing a lot of Tylers meltdowns, or how he withdrawls from people is because of this.

No comments: