Friday, November 2, 2007

Differences



It amazes me how two boys only a year apart coming from the same parents can be so different from one another. I get asked at least once a week if they are twins and everyone says you can obviously tell they are brothers. There are some obvious differences - Carter weighs only 2 lbs less than Tyler is. When Tyler was a year old he weighed 3 lbs less than Carter is now.

Its their personality differences that really get me however. Tyler is and always was a lot more active than Carter. Carter is happy to cuddle in your lap for up to 5 minutes, with Tyler you were lucky to get 5 seconds. However Carter gets into so much more than Tyler ever did. When we were baby proofing the house for Tyler we bought those toilet locks. Never had to use them - until Carter started cruising that is. Carter is also systematically destroying all my photo albums one by one. Tyler never went near them, well until the day Carter found them.

Carter is also so much more sensitive. Tyler shrugs things off and has a much higher pain tolerance (or at least acts like it doesn't hurt). Carter is my tantrum child. At one year old he already has the throwing the head back to lay down and scream. Tyler has yet to really have what I would call a tantrum. If he starts one I can usually reason with him to stop.

Tyler is the aggressor. He has his well documented biting problem, but also loves to wrestle and run into things such as couches, pillows and walls just for laughs. Carter is very laid back and takes it all in. Tyler is my observer and loves to people watch. A time out for Tyler on a naughty step is fun for him - he gets to watch everyone. I have yet to give Carter a time out. He bursts into tears if you say no sternly at him.

I can't wait to see how these little personalities will grow and change as they get older. I wonder if they will clash or help them to get along even better. Will one of them love sports and the other music? Will one love school and the other hate getting up each morning? I can't wait to find out.

*The pictures are of both of them at exactly a year old. Similar yet so different.

No comments: